Disk Utility is advantageous and multipurpose hard disk management utility for Mac OS X. Some of the very prominent features of this inbuilt utility are feature to partition, erase, or format the hard disk of Mac and the First Aid feature, which is used to repair file permissions and file system of Mac. Thus, with every new launch of Mac OS X, Apple adds one or more new features in Disk Utility and this utility of Mac OS X 10.5 and later have feature to resize, add, and delete hard drive partitions except the boot volume or the partition which has Master Boot Record of your Mac. But, there are situations when a user wants to resize the boot volume of his/her Mac, thus at that time he/she can opt for reliable third-party partition manager for Mac.
Let us exemplify this situation. Suppose, you are using Mac OS X 10.5 – Leopard based laptop. In a due course of time, you observe that the boot volume (the volume which contains all the application files and Master Boot Record) of your Mac is almost full and thus it requires more space. Since, at this situation Disk Utility cannot do any good for you thus it is advised to opt for third-party partition manager for Mac. These tools let you create the Boot DVD of your machine. By using this DVD you can easily resize the Boot volume of your Mac.
If you will search over the internet for some partition manager software for Mac then you will be surprised to see a long list of tools for this category. Thus, to select the best tool out of this list, you can look up for the below mentioned points:
- The software should be compatible with your system. In this case the software should support Mac OS X 10.5.
- The software should create and resize the partitions without causing data loss.
- The software should delete as well as format a partition.
- The software should be able to perform batch operations.
- The software should resize the partitions on your Mac by optimizing the free space.
- The software should have functionality to hide and reveal a partition.
- The software should be able to create Bootable DVD of your machine so that you can easily perform various partitioning operations on your boot drive.
- The software should warn you every time to take the backup of all your data before you are modifying your Mac hard disk partition.
One such software is Stellar Partition Manager. This software fulfills the above mentioned criteria of reliable and efficient partition manager. Additionally, the software has feature to roll back the last selection which you have made to perform an action.